Over the past decade, programming practices like Test-Driven Development (TDD), Behavior Driven Developer (BDD), Continuous Integration and Automation have fundamentally changed software development processes and inherently how engineers work.
BDD is practice for efficiently evolving useful code. While its name implies that it's mostly about development, BDD is primarily about collaboration and delivering business value: it keeps programmers focused on exactly what they need to build and helps them avoid over engineering.
BDD itself combines the principles and techniques of Test- driven Development (TDD) with ideas from Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD), domain-driven design, and object-oriented analysis and design to provide all parties involved in software development with shared tools and opportunity to contribute to software development process. BDD approach results into delivery of working and tested software that matters.
Reasons why we need BDD:
1. BDD offers more precise guidance on organizing the conversation between developers, testers and domain experts
2. Notations originating in the BDD approach, in particular the given-when-then canvas, are closer to everyday language and have a shallower learning curve compared to those of tools such as Fit/FitNesse
3. Tools targeting a BDD approach generally afford the automatic generation of technical and end user documentation from BDD "specifications"
Advantages of using BDD :
- Quick learning. BDD approach, in particular the Given-When-Then scheme, is close to everyday language and has a shallower learning curve compared to TDD tools.
- Communication and collaboration. BDD gives development team opportunity to discuss importance, depth and timeline of each feature. Constructive discussion always leads to better understanding and success of the following production and delivery of the product.
- Higher business value. Main place in discussion takes justifying the priority of features by showing their concrete value to business.
- Agile approach. Though ‘agile’ means only partially specified features and undefined requirements, BDD ensures evolving product understanding and system development according to the changing needs.
- Ready documentation. Tools for BDD approach generally provide automatic generation of technical and end user documentation from BDD specifications.
How we will help in implementing BDD
- By adopting the “three amigos” model
In BDD, specifications are created via the close collaboration of testers, business analysts, and developers. In a traditional (waterfall) organization, these teams may rarely collaborate and might not even be co-located, so there are many changes that may need to occur.
- By writing features/scenarios
Transitioning to correctly structured and defined scenarios is a must to achieve behavior driven development otherwise, it’s really just still TDD.
- By adopting write technology
In experience through launching qTest Scenario, there are dozens of behavior driven development frameworks to pick from, each of which has a horde of fans proclaiming it to be the only BDD framework they’d ever use.
- Using Testability
To get started with behavior driven development, developers may need to build “testability” into the application, by way of mocks, API’s, etc. that can forgo the UI and interact with automated tests in a more repeatable fashion. Developers often see this as technical debt, which they may prioritize below customer facing features, but these enhancements are critical to BDD success.
- Help in doing Collaboration
Behavior driven development requires daily cross-functional collaboration to succeed. We know that many developers, testers, and analysts are not used to this and will oppose this change. All members of the engineering organization must be aligned to work together for any BDD initiative to succeed.
- Automating the work
Organization are loaded with manual testing talent, but lean on automated testing personnel. While behavior driven development can be achieved through manual testing, it is most effective when testing is automated. Organizations should invest in developing manual testers into automated testers, involving developers in automation discussions, and transitioning strictly manual testers to business focused approaches like exploratory testing to maintain their value add.
Our Exclusive Offer
- Training - We, offers a comprehensive, hands-on introduction to behavior driven development via interactive discussions, multimedia content, hands-on exercises and quizzes. We'll demonstrate the BDD Rhythm. Also explore the foundations of BDD with the help of various patterns, strategies and your programming language specific BDD tools & techniques. Participants will understand how BDD simplifies evolving lean, valuable, useful, fully specified software.
- Consulting – BDD Consulting Services is a full service consulting firm. We start by listening to you, then we tailor packages to meet your company's needs to help you succeed. Whether you're in need of a bookkeeper, someone to process payroll, an event to be planned or need help with your social media marketing, BDD is there for you.